Since our founding, our mission at Good Smile Company has been to support creators and bring Japanese pop culture to the world whilst stimulating the figure industry as a whole. Presently, while continuing to plan exceptional figures and plastic models, we've also enhanced our manufacturing teams and factories and made many business partners within the animation industry. Following the establishment of new locations in the USA and China, we're working to spread each area's pop culture throughout the world, Japan included. Good Smile Company strives to expand our figure, anime and game operations as well as our support services in order to bring the hard work of creators to as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Good Smile Company, Inc.
CEO Takanori Aki
- Company Name
- Good Smile Company, Inc.
- May 2001
- 3,000,000 Japanese Yen
- No. of Staff
- 130 (As of January 2019)
- Takanori Aki
- Board of Directors
- Board Member: Junko Osawa
Board Member: Naoki Meiri
Board Member: Takao Uemura
Board Member: Kantaro Iwasa
Board Member: Takuro Akiyama
Operations Officer: Gaku Yosano
Operations Officer: Yoshiki Usa
- Office Location
- Good Smile Company Main Office - Akiba CO Building 8F, 3-16-12 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Lucky Factory - 243 Shuki, Kurayoshi, Tottori
- Business Activities
- ■ Planning, development, production and sale of toys, goods and figures.
■ Advertising, sales consulting and business outsourcing for toys, goods and figures.
■ Package design, advertisement design and web design subcontractors for toys, goods and figures.
■ Planning, development and administration of games.
■ Planning and production of animation.
■ Planning and production of video and music.
■ Motorsports operations.
■ Investment support.
■ Running of showrooms and cafes.
Plans and administers e-commerce storefronts and coordinates international distribution.
Plans animation projects and manages production, promotion, music production and event planning for various animated series.
Good Smile Partners
Plans, manufactures and sells original hobby products.
ULTRA SUPER PICTURES
Manages video content, produces video content and handles content licensing.
Produces CG animation and does various work involving 3DCGI, photography and planning.
Produces animation and does various work involving planning, directing and production.
Produces animation and does various work involving planning, directing and production.
- Good Smile Company Co., Ltd. is established in Shinmatsudo, Matsudo City.
The business focuses on artist management, event planning and video production.
- Formed a cooperative business agreement with Max Factory Co., Ltd.
- Started planning and production of OEM toys.
- First appearance at the "Wonder Festival" event run by Kaiyodo. Haven’t missed an event since!
- The 1/8th scale Nemu Asakura goes on sale as the first ever Good Smile Company branded figure.
- Max Factory releases the highly acclaimed 1/6th scale "Kasumi" figure.
- Good Smile Company begins distribution of products to hobby stores.
- The "WONDERFUL HOBBY LIFE FOR YOU!!" slogan is born and used at various events.
- The Nendoroid series is created. The very first Nendoroid "Nendoroid Neko Arc: Convert! Grumbling Face Edition" is sold at Wonder Festival.
- The post Wonder Festival livestream that continues until the next morning is run for the first time.
- Max Factory releases a scale figure of Haruhi Suzumiya the hugely popular anime series that became a social phenomenon, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"
- The Japanese version of the company's blog, Mikatan Blog is created. This started a trend in the hobby industry to have a female blogger introducing products on a blog. The blog was later taken over by Kahotan and renamed Kahotan Blog. An English version of the blog was also started which can be found here.
- The "Shuraki" series of products are developed as original content. Each contains a figure, drama CD and booklet to accompany the main figure.
- Max Factory begins the figma series. The first in the series is "Superhero Haruhi", included as a bonus to a game.
- Nendoroid Hatsune Miku is a huge hit. (By the end of 2010, over a hundred thousand units had been sold.)
- GOOD SMILE RACING is established. The Hatsune Miku GT car takes part in the SUPER GT series.
- The Nendoroid Petite: Vocaloid #01 series is released and becomes a huge hit selling over one million units.
- The "Sculptor's Tryout" project is created to discover and develop new talent in the world of figure sculptors.
- The development of the "Black Rock Shooter" universe begins. A figure is released, and a DVD of the anime series is distributed for free. (Approximately 670,000 copies were distributed)
The Good Smile Cafe is opened in Matsudo City.
Official sponsorship for the F1 Racer, Kamui Kobayashi begins.
- "Nendoroid Hatsune Miku: Cheerful Ver." is released to raise funds to help those affected by the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.
Good Smile Company celebrates its 10th anniversary with an event at Belle Salle Akihabara. JAM Project is commissioned to write a a song in commemoration of the event, titled "Hikari e no Countdown"
The Cheerful JAPAN! Project is created to raise money for the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami victims.
The first ever Nendoroid Snow Miku Outfit Design contest begins.
- ULTRA SUPER PICTURES is established.
Good Smile Shanghai is established in China.
A business partnership is formed with "Tetsujin", opening the Good Smile & Karaoke no Tetsujin Cafe in Akihabara.
The Hatsune Miku Good Smile BMW is the champion of the SUPER GT 300 series.
Orders for the highly acclaimed Saber & Saber Motored Cuirassier begin.
A Good Smile & Karaoke no Tetsujin Cafe branch opens in Taiwan.
- Good Smile Company begins the hiring of new graduates.
- Good Smile Company is changed into a stock company. (kabushiki gaisha)
- GOODSMILE Logistics&Solutions is established.
- Company moves to the Tokyo Skytree East Tower 17F
- An anime series produced by Good Smile Company, Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life begins broadcasting.
The GSC-Kuji Hatsune Miku 2012 winter Ver. product lottery is run at FamilyMart stores across Japan.
The highly acclaimed Ultimate Madoka figure based on the final episode of the hit anime series "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" is released.
- ULTRA TOKYO CONNECTION, LLCis established in California, USA.
- The GOOD SMILE x animate Cafe is opened in Akihabara.
- The top-quality figure series, Wonderful Hobby Selection begins.
The Good Smile Hatsune Miku Z4 is the champion of the 2014 SUPER GT GT300 Class Race.
"Lucky Factory" is established in Tottori prefecture, Japan.
Nendoroid No. 500, Nendoroid Sakura Miku: Bloomed in Japan production is started at Lucky Factory.
The GOOD SMILE x animate Cafe is opened in Nipponbashi, Osaka.
- The the Nendoroid Co-de brand is announced.
Good Smile Company helps run the Red Bull Air Race Chiba 2015 as an official partner.
The mecha product series 'GOOD SMILE ARMS' begins with Full Action Model Chamber.
- The ORANGE ROUGE brand is announced as a new brand dedicated to male character figures.
The first in the series is Nendoroid Tsurumaru Kuninaga from Touken Ranbu -ONLINE-.
- The first product in the "TOON WORKSHOP" brand by GOOD SMILE COMPANY and Mr. Hahn (LINKIN PARK) is released.
- Company moves to the Akiba CO Building, 3-16-12 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- The Nendoroid series celebrates its 10th anniversary. The Nendoroid 10th Anniversary Live is held at the Makuhari Event Hall
- The Cheerful Japan project is brought back to support relief efforts after the Kumamoto Earthquake. ¥20,112,000 is raised through the project.
- The Good Smile Company 15th Anniversary Exhibition is held at 3331 Arts Chiyoda. Almost every figure released by GSC is displayed at the exhibition.
- The smartphone game Grand Summoners is released on Android and iOS in Japan. A global release of the game followed the next year.
- The Akiba CO Gallery is opened on the first floor of the Akiba CO Building.
- GOODSMILE Logistics & Solutions Taiwan, Inc. is established.
- A new brand produced by music artist ZEDD, Double Zero, is founded and the first product in the series "Double Zero 001" is released.
- The Nendoroid Face Maker service is released in Japan.
Nendoroid Tracer: Classic Skin Edition from the globally popular multiplayer team based shooter Overwatch® is released as the first in a series of figures.
Nendoroid Hatsune Miku 10th Anniversary Ver. and Hatsune Miku 10th Anniversary Ver. Memorial Boxare announced as a part of Hatsune Miku's 10th anniversary.
- The new-style of radio, Hint, is released, developed together with Nippon Broadcasting System and Cerevo.
The 1/7th scale Sakura Kinomoto: Stars Bless You that was announced as a part of Good Smile Company's 15th anniversary.
- The Good Smile Hatsune Miku AMG takes first place in the 2017 SUPER GT GT300 class championship. The second championship title for the team, following on from 2014.
GOODSMILE FILM Co., Ltd. is established.
Harmonia bloom, a new brand of dolls is announced, and orders for the first in the series Hagumi Hanamoto begin.
Good Smile Company's first series of plastic models, the MODEROID series is announced. Mazinkaiser is the first item to join the line-up.
- The anime series Working Buddies! begins broadcasting. The series is produced by Good Smile Company.
- Good Smile Company announces a new brand of capsule toys known as the Piyokuru series! The very first in the series is Piyokuru: Fate/Grand Order 01.
- A series of collectible capsule toys where the body of the capsule is the body of the toy itself is announced as the "Corocoroid" series. The first item in the line-up is the Corocoroid Kirby Collectible Figures.
- Good Smile Company takes part in the first ever Wonder Festival 2018 Shanghai [Pre-Stage] event.
- A new company with a focus on Chinese content and scouting talent in China is established under the nameGOODSMILE ARTS Shanghai.
- GOODSMILE Film's Comic Girls airs.
- GOODSMILE Film's Merc Storia, GOBLIN SLAYER and Iroduku: The World in Colors air.
- The action figure series with Nendoroid size heads and easy-to-dress bodies, Nendoroid Doll, begins.
- Good Smile Partners is established.
- Good Smile Company participated in a record 103 events, including 49 domestic events and 54 international events.
- The plastic model series by Masaki Apsy×huke×GOOD SMILE COMPANY, chitocerium, begins with presales of LXXVIII-platinum at Wonder Festival 2019 Winter.